If your toilet has been acting strange lately, you may be wondering if you should call your local plumber. The truth is, if you have an older model, there is a lot that can go wrong. If your toilet isn’t working properly, or it’s inefficient, you could be wasting water. You may also run into frustrating issues such as a backed-up toilet.
As experienced and licensed Austin, TX plumbers at Economy Plumbing Services, we’ve seen it all — tough clogs, leaky toilets and even water damage to the flooring as a result of more serious issues. Because your peace of mind matters, we recommend calling a professional if you’re concerned about your toilet. However, we also know how helpful it is to have answers to common questions about toilet problems so you can decide on the best steps to take for your household.
How do I know if I have a leaking toilet?
A lot of people worry about a toilet leak. This isn’t just because of the money you could be throwing away on high water bills. Leaking toilets can also lead to damage as the moisture from a leak causes mold to grow. Here are the most common signs of a leak that you should look out for:
- If, after you’ve flushed, your toilet still makes noise, this could indicate that water is running in the tank because of a leak.
- There is water around the base of your toilet. This means your tank could be leaking.
- You notice yellow or brown stains on the floor near the base of the toilet. When you see a stain, this means you’ve probably been dealing with a leak for a long time and the water has already damaged the flooring material.
- If you see any dampness on the floor or if the bathroom floor feels soft anywhere near the toilet, you could have a leak.
- If you smell a sewage-like odor anywhere — in your toilet, from your sink, or from the bathtub — you almost definitely have a plumbing problem and should contact your Austin, TX plumber.
Why is my toilet backing up?
There could be something clogged in the drain lines but there are other potential causes. Obstructed vents can lead to slow drainage and problems with blockages. You may also have underlying issues with tree roots or your septic system.
Your toilet shouldn’t back up all the time. If this is a recurring problem, give us a call. We can take a look and figure out what the issue may be.
When should I replace my toilet?
Toilets can last for decades, which is why so many Austin homes have old models. Still, if you’re noticing issues, if you’re upgrading your bathroom or if you want to switch to a water-saving model, you can replace your toilet.
Toilet replacement isn’t a big job so our technicians can come in, take out your old one, address any damage or repair issues with the pipes, and have you up and running again with a brand-new toilet in no time.
Call the plumbers Austin, TX residents count on
From a toilet that doesn’t seem to flush properly to replacements and repairs for toilets, sinks, water heaters and more, contact Economy Plumbing Services for fast, reliable service. We’re happy to help with any issue and we have the skills, tools and experience to solve even the toughest plumbing issues. Call today at (512) 649 2811 for plumbing services in Austin, TX.